Friday 28 March 2014

“I can quit smoking too”


I remember me and best friend Andy smoking ever since I have had known him. He used to smoke long before I met him at which point I didn’t. I later on picked smoking from Andy of course. At first it was all about being cool growing up smoking. For us it was the symbol of being a man that we were able to smoke. Like me, Andy was the only child of his parents and Andy being very stubborn never paid attention to what his parents had to say about his smoking behavior. I on the other hand was afraid of my parents finding out about me smoking, so I kept it a secret and avoided smoking anywhere near them that could give my parents any evidence of my smoking habits. Realizing that my so called “symbol of being cool” was turning into an addiction, I tried quitting altogether but the cravings had grown too strong to suppress. Then came the shock of my life, one morning I was woken up by mom saying that Andy had a heart attack and was hospitalized. We rushed to the hospital but when we got there Andy was gone. He had another attack, a very severe one while he has at the hospital and doctors were not able to save him. My best friend who was just 20 at the time of his death had fallen prey to smoking. Andy was the only child, his parents were devastated. His mom was in shock and his dad was blaming himself for not being strong enough to control his son’s smoking habits. For a moment there I saw my parents crying and me lying there on that bed instead of Andy. This could have been me and life of my parents, everyone who cares for me would have never been same again.

I promised myself to never let my parents go through this and later that day went up to my mom and told him everything with a promise turn my life into something better. My mom was heartbroken at first that I had been keeping secrets from them. I feared my dad’s reaction to be worse than that of mom but when he came to know everything he was very supportive and said that he was with me and he was proud me that I came forward. I stared with one day challenge and worked my way up. Support groups were great help and my dad was always there for me to support me to stay positive. It wasn’t an easy task but with the support of my family and friends I was able to make it through. It has been two years since I last smoked and I have been smoke free ever since.

I know it isn’t an easy fight but it’s worth fighting, for the sake of people who love us and care for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment